In an effort to redeem myself I had to make an effort to make this recipe. My wife had been after me for several weeks to make her chocolate chip cookies. I attempted to do so last weekend and had a minor catastrophe befall me. I am pretty sure it was the inferior quality chocolate chips used, but its easy to blame something else and not yourself, I guess. In any case I was very disappointed and felt I needed to give her something else to munch on this weekend.I found this and felt it would make a great combination as I have made shortbread pie crust and remember how simple and extraordinary it turned out. So I gave this a try.
Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies
Recipe courtesy of: Tasteofhome.com
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Additional confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and
- mix well. Stir in chocolate.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in confectioners’ sugar.
- Bake at 300° for 30-33 minutes or until edges are lightly
- browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen
Unlike most of my recipes I did not substitute much if anything here. What I will tell you is these cookies are most similar to “pecan sandies”, remember those? I advise you of this because if you prefer chewy cookies (like me) you may be disappointed. Fortunately for me I will pretty much eat anything so it didn’t matter:) The texture is very nice and while these cook for much longer than you would typically bake cookies, its and “easy” bake. My only substitution is I used chocolate chips instead of the chunks requested in the recipe. Therefore, I recommend either using more chips or using the aforementioned chunks. My cookies were a little light on the chocolate taste. Nonetheless they were wonderfully swoonable! Be careful when they come out of the oven because the cookies retain heat for awhile after being pulled from the oven. Yeah, I burned my tongue! Anyway these might be great for Santa if you haven’t settled on a recipe for his cookies yet.